Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday was a good day

Today was a good day. When I went to bed last night Matthew's heart rate was 183, he had a temp of 102 and his blood pressure was in the 50's (they want it in the 70's). Overnight Matthew got a lot better and when I saw him at 6 AM he had a temp of 100, blood pressure was perfect and his heart rate was 144. What an improvement! He also reacted well to reducing some of his medications so they told me we would remove the sedatives and get the breathing tube out when he woke up (predicted to be noon).

As usual, there is no telling Matthew what to do. Instead of waking up after all pain and sedative meds were taken away he continued to sleep till about 4:30 and even then he was groggy. They did remove his breathing tube and he is breathing on his own very well. They still wont give him food till tomorrow so Matthew (who has not had anything since 4AM on Monday) is now getting some morphine to help him be calm and sleep.

I came home to visit with Mary and Mikey and will spend the night at home for the first time in 4 days. Grandma and Grandpa are visiting Matthew at the hospital tonight and Mike will stay there overnight. The nurse told me that we should be able to hold Matthew tomorrow evening as long as his chest tube and IV line that goes into his heart come out. I am looking forward to that very much!

2 comments:

  1. Wow...what a change in one day! Glad to hear Matthew is getting better. Hopefully you can get some rest tonight as I am sure you are very tired. As always, let me know if there is anything I can do to help you and your family.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad he improved so quickly! Hope you were able to get some much needed rest and ENJOY holding him tomorrow :-) Continued prayers for you and your family, and the other babies from your board having this surgery as well. Jen D.

    ReplyDelete